Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Dogs are from Mars, I am from Venus

I must say that I'm not really terrified of dogs. I used to be, but that was because Malaysian dogs commonly had very bad temper. Or at least those in my neighbourhood were- I even have a permanent scar on my right hip as a keepsake of our acrimonious affair (that from falling down, not being bitten, mind). But the dogs here have never bothered me other than the fact that they are fond of breaching into my personal space, which I wouldn't mind if not for another fact that i have to clean myself with water and soil afterwards, especially not when I'm on the way to class on a lousy- whoops, I mean lovely- Wednesday, no thank you.

So this morning Sin Ye and I were waiting for the bus as usual, when this cute stray fella came by to say hello. It's one of those silly misconceptions you often have, but still, I've never seen a Chinese so terrified of dogs before. Her terror reaches a whole different level- even by my standard, or even my sister's, which is saying something. Once, we got back from class and were chatting happily when this hairy stranger approached from the front. I saw him from the corner of my eye but since he didn't radiate any harmful aura, I just ignored it. But Sin Ye suddenly caught hold of him and instantly shrieked at the top of her lungs. I tell you, the poor dog jumped in fright. Literally. Such formidable presence, my friend was. Hehe.

Anyway today, the same drama resumed, with me playing the role of reluctant hero (read: she hid behind my back, using me as a shield). Both of us kind of wiggled around, panicking, though for different reasons. Luckily, several juniors were there helping us out. And then the bus came. Phew... saved by the bus!

Not quite. As soon as the door closed, someone pointed at the dog- he got onto the bus! Blistering barnacles! I told myself not to lose my calm, but when he started to push in between people's legs in a direction which seemed to be ours, my survival instinct took over. For a second there, i was reminded of my ugly previous encounters with dogs. The morning sardine condition of the bus did not allow room for almost any movement, so I jumped to the edge of the doorstep, the only place I could go to widen the gap between me and Lassie. No chance. He went for cowards, I suppose, as he made his way towards my direction. My instinct said jump, so I jumped. And missed a step, and fell down in the most humiliating way ever. Ever ever. (Mental note: never trust my instinct)

However I had no time to dig a hole and sink myself in the dungeon of nothingness but dust (and shame), I had a life to save. Sin Ye pulled me and some juniors kind of blocked the dog from coming our way. But then he went to the corner where a Malay guy junior stood, and I guess the guy's survival instinct sparked to the roof too, for he immediately jumped onto the waist-level circumscribed plane at the back of the bus. Amazing reflex, I must say.

At the next stop, the terrorist went down, we all sighed in relief and then realised the humour in the whole situation. More reasons for Russians to stare at us alien creatures with sardonic looks.

So did my view towards dogs change again? I don't know, I still think they're cute. Haha.

On another different note, I nicked this (below) from Azleen. She had been challenged to write a 150-word short essay including the words patience, dinosaur, and Kaka with love as the bridging theme. And look at her beautiful composition.

in absentia

Having patience to endure absence. Perhaps that’s the birthday wish, the nightly prayer, the new year’s resolution, the whatever. Its without an expiry date. It has to be renewed, day after day after day. A prayer for this feeling of isolation to suddenly get struck by a catastrophic climate change of sorts: and chase the dinasours of disbelongness into extinction. For ever and ever.

Some say the weather will never blow the snow to this shore. Absence tests love, and the heart must learn to be tough enough to brave the tide. And sometimes bringing back memories work in a weird way to slow it down. Creating a sense of familiarity? Perhaps. We do try. Even if its just exchanging letters. Even if its just watching Kaka and Gerrard battle it out. Even if its just watching old pictures. Even if.. anything.

Because ; absence tests patience, and patience tests love.

8 comments:

dith said...

Poor Sin Ye. Having to endure the fright of dogs and the shame of putting up with a misconceptions of sorts.

Fi, when I was about 6, living in a housing estate called Century Gdn, I had to walk about 500m to a groceries. Then, I had to battle with numerous dogs of all kinds, vicious or otherwise. When they are not bad tempered, they are playful. Either way, they prove to be a nuisance, hehe. Tok thought me to squat, (somehow when you adopt that posture, dogs get turned off) and recite that ayat from Al Baqarah. ALhamdulillah, I survived all encounters of the canine-kind, practically unscathed.

Azleen,
Wah...you are that lonely huh? Bila nak balik Kuantan? Boleh kirim barang tak? (serious ni)

Anonymous said...

Really? Squat? Coz I can really use that!

Anonymous said...

heheh... banyak masa dengan entries.

to squat? it easier for the dog to jump on you. have you seen any preystargets squatting when the police/military dogs were after them. i guess the best is to just grab a stick and hit them relentlessly. if melee is not your choice, just get some peebles for a distant hit. that what i usually did.

i remembered when i was 8, i did what dith had mentioned. this single mongrel started to bark. call for reinforcement! i lay low surrounded by 1/2 a dozen ferociuos looking dogs. i scremed for help and i was lucky that aki was around. the lesson i learned is that "animals can smell your emotion". From there, i learned to control fear.

remember the berok and gadis ceria sokmo and the car plate. the mother screamed Jane-like but the berok can sense. in the end jane and gadis ceria sokmo were on the run.
2 weeks back i screamed at the berok that got into maman's room. semua menciput lari.

lesson to learn, "control your fear". how? 2 a few ayats in the Quran give me strength and confidence. ;)

Anonymous said...

lagi satu... nice writings from azleen. bukan ke dia summer hols? dia tak balik ke?

my regards to sin ye. pray. ;)

Arifah said...

Alhamdulillah. Never had any bad encounter with dogs before. The dogs in books and movies always sounded cute. But in real life, all I can think of is how they pee and poop all over the place, yuck! Hehhe. Tapi your true life event memang hilarious. Lol. =D

Anonymous said...

Won't comment much on your fear of dogs. You do look like someone who can do acrobats when frightened.
But aaa...your friend azleen punya writing tu aaaa. When i read the first ayat je I dah slow down. Beautifully written.

Anonymous said...

aiseh..2 kali failed to post here.

moga2 berjaya kali ini.

******

thanks for the comments :-)

******

i might come back in July... 70% sure kot... boleh2 kirim..insyaAllah. xde summer break aritu cos i stayed over to do summer skool (i have to, not voluntary!) so i'm planning a month winter break at malaysia... kot... hehe...

Anonymous said...

when i first started work in kl, i stayed with tok tam in bangsar. had to walk uphill to reach our "apartment". then at the end of one lousy day, while walking up hill, this black dog came running downhill barking towards me.

as i was really in a sour mood, started running towards the dog intending to connect my shoe with its face. guess what! the dog stopped in its track and ran away whimpering.

sure made my day. and ask boogey the day he were with me chasing after a big snake at aki's orchard. hehehe... twas funny.