Pages

Sunday, January 01, 2006

New Year, New Spirit(?)

I am on the brink of losing my writing spirit, I really am. It’s a little bit different from writer’s block because when you have writer’s block, it is not because you don’t want to write- you just can’t spill out your feelings in words without sounding like a dim idiot. But lately I’ve been doggedly trying to sit down and write, and by some certain reasons as yet unascertained, I just didn’t feel like wanting to put my thoughts on paper. And judging from the first three sentences above, my ability to construct clever sentences has seemed to deteriorate shamefully too (not that it was very good to begin with, of course). Boy, do I miss school and all the goodness it did to my lethargic brain…

Anyways, today my senses suddenly seized myself to mull over the ancient blogging rule #1 (invented by yours truly, so to speak) which I apparently have conveniently forgotten all this while: write honestly from the heart and the result need not necessarily be a beautiful composition. After all, if everyone writes beautifully, the expression ‘mediocre’ would never have made its way into the dictionary and consequently the terms ‘pitiable comments’ and if you’re (un)lucky, ‘insults’, would never see the light of day, which quite honestly, would be rather a shame to an otherwise colourful and diversified world.

OK, this particular blogger is being honestly stupid now. I will thus keep this short (and hopefully sweet. Lol) to minimise any embarrassment possibly inflicted by this wooly entry. My friends and I just said hello to 2006 by lighting up mini fireworks whilst simultaneously admiring other more magnificent ones outside the hostel building in a toe-breaking, minus-something weather. New Year celebrations here sure are massive- fireworks can be seen practically everywhere you turn your head to, with colours from every range intermingling in beautiful spectacles so delightful to the eyes. What a neat picture it would make, had I only charge my camera’s battery. Darn. All the same, it’s been an enjoyable night. I said my thanks to Allah for all the blessings I’ve been graced upon all my humble life and, like this inspiring song, I hope for better days in store for all of us in the future.

Better Days- Goo Goo Dolls

And you ask me what I want this year
And I try to make this kind and clear
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
Coz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
And desire and love and empty things
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days

So take these words
And sing out loud
Coz everyone is forgiven now
Coz tonight's the night the world begins again

And it's someplace simple where we could live
And something only you can give
And thats faith and trust and peace while we're alive
And the one poor child who saved this world
And there's 10 million more who probably could
If we all just stopped and said a prayer for them

So take these words
And sing out loud
Coz everyone is forgiven now
Coz tonight's the night the world begins again

I wish everyone was loved tonight
And somehow stop this endless fight
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days

So take these words
And sing out loud
Coz everyone is forgiven now
Coz tonight's the night the world begins again
Coz tonight's the night the world begins again

ps: I actually wrote this entry at 1am but couldn't post it due to some technical difficulties =)

15 comments:

dith said...

Anakanda (anakonda?) Sofi yang tercinta,
Tahun baru ini apa cerita?
Toe-biting sejuk? Brrr sejuknya!
Lutut ok? No problem?Alhamdulillah!
Lama tiada entry tidak mengapa,
SMS selalu atau email sahaja,
Mengapa pulak takut dicerca dihina?
Tulis saja dari hati yg murni,
Mak akan baca dengan senang hati!
Atau load saja gambar tanpa entry,
Lepaslah rindu abah/mak di sini,
Sempena tahun baru Gregorian ini,
Mak doakan Sofi sejahtera sentiasa,
Menempuh tahun baru penuh kasa,
Diberkati Allah swt sepanjang usia!
Ameen!
(seloka tahun baru-copyrights reserved)

Anonymous said...

Sofi dear. What a nice suprise to get an entry from you on this New Year's Eve!! Ahah. Although I definitely agree with you on writing honestly from the heart I do believe in quality of presentation. As Andrew Burt puts it "It's Not What You Say, But How You Say It". But I think you've fulfilled that criteria too. An intesting entry indeed!!
Anyway, what's ur new year's resolution(s)?!

Anonymous said...

drroza: just like the poem you did for us the fellowship, i also can't stop grinning while reading that seloka of yours :D

iFos: even when you say you're losing that spirit, for me personally i can still sense that distinct iFos-ness in this entry :) so don't you worry, you're just being busy with studies and all. nothing to do with losing your writing spirit or anything. and as usual, i love this song!

Anonymous said...

Indeed both mother and daughter are blessed with this writing talent.
This short sweet entry sure is like "hujan sehari yang menghilangkan kemarau setahun"
Thank you for this New Year gift Sofi.

Anonymous said...

If you think your sentences sound unintelligent, then you should come and read more of mine. It'll raise your spirits for you'll be assured that there are still other creatures who are capable of constructing even more unintelligent sentences T_T

On a lighter note, the celebrations in my own "taman perumahan" were quite lively too. Each rocket that was shot into the air seemed to home in on the top of my roof. For a brief moment, I hated New Year Celebrations.

Love the song by the way. Which album was it from?

ifos said...

Mak- Thanks =) Dpt tak the pictures I sent thru email tu? And my new year card? I posted about three weeks ago.

Scribler- sorry, I didn't notice there's only one 'b' in your name ;) And sure, you can call me Sofi. It's my name, after all =D

Afie- my compulsion to create a good composition is the thing that often halt my progress in writing- I always fear my piece isn't good enough for people to read ;) my new year resolution? To be able to converse with taxi drivers here (seriously! they are often eager to have a conversation and all i can mumble is 'thanks', 'yes', etc., etc.. sob!!)

Crimsonskye- I'm on a 1-wk New Year break now- I'll see whether I can regain my 'spirit' =)

Pycnogenol- Happy new year to you!

Hiyoshi- Aah, you're always downgrading yourself and you know it doesn't work on me =D Anyway the song is their latest single- the album hasn't come out yet.

dith said...

Fi- since you dont seemed to get my emails and no I have opened Foxmail umpteenth time but no such mail fom you,plz send it again!

Thanks for the card! You know about the cobra story? *shudder*

ifos said...

Yeah, heard of it from Kak Sarah. Cobra?? Yikes! Takutnye... jom pindah umah la mak. Hehe.

dith said...

Fi- jom pindah! Nak pindah volgo boleh tak?

dith said...

p.s.- Aliah was at the dining doorway when she saw a black 'rope' dangling at the window. She thought ibu was playing tricks on her and she ignored it till it moved!!! She screamed like she saw a snake, but yes it was a SNAKE, a cobra to be precise!! It was I meter long, about 5cm in diameter thick, yellowish ventral, that's why its called tedung selar (like ikan selar kuning I guess). Pakcik Nahar says ther're lots of those species here. They come in pairs. Now I tread the grounds with so much fear and 'geli ya amat'! I asked abah if they could crawl up the window, can they climb up all the way to first floor??? Can they? He said no. I hope he is not just pacifying me from the truth! Ishh...

Anonymous said...

Assalamualaikum..
I`can barely sense the 'loss of writing spirit' from your entries. They were always superb and interesting. Keep it up, iFos!

I think that the best Goo Goo Dolls song is still 'Iris'!

ifos said...

Ayumi- Iris's my fave too... and Black Balloon =)

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Jennifer garner in bikini Umbo shelves Zoloft vs fluoxetine blonde chick 3m 630 reader printer http://www.window-air-conditioner.info/Cdcoverprinter.html Air conditioning heating frasier johnson ac Computer does not boot to windows screen microsoft imaging printer Chicago to new york and airfare Mazda 626 problems Chemical name for accutane

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Renew and ge appliance extended service contract Jeep wrangler fuel pump Ritalin home page Audi oil leak head gasket Closing open account to improve your fico Louisiana bextra claim jeep dealers Recondition convertible top plastic rear window Galleries dildos Model of the day asian Allegra d passing in bowel movement jeep wheelbarrows tadalafil Canadachildsupport.com canada child support online schools Personal sex web sites Miele 575 dishwasher accessories Business card beauty Clomid cd3-7 when to test for pregnancy crystal washers israel

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » »