Pages

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Let's talk about the... weather!

It seems like the winter is reluctant to say goodbye… instead of sunshine, green grass and blossoming flowers everyone has been anticipating for March, we received a very amiable (yes, a hint of sarcasm there) parting gift in the form of a gale for the last couple of days and even a bit of a blizzard yesterday. The fierce, unrelenting might of the wind could really sweep you of your feet, big time (if the slippery pavement does not get you first, that is) and had I a little fragment of sense-which I hadn’t- I would have just stayed home and read a book. Speaking of which, I just found out from a friend about this bookstore- probably the only one in the city (or one of very very few, if any) which stocks English paperback classics. Sad as it sounds, I was thrilled! Hence the purchase of three happy copies, which were probably stuck there between the shelves since the dawning of men, screaming for attention.

“The Time Machine” by Herbert G. Wells
“The Quiet American” by Graham Greene
“Death on the Nile” by Agatha Christie.

Ok, just for the record there ;p

Alright, where were we before I digressed… ah, the weather. I queerly found the wind-snowstorm-slippery track combo fascinating- an altogether unique ensemble of experience that I have never tasted before firsthand. A bit scary, yes, and very humbling to the core. The genuine extent of the unpredictable forces of nature is being demonstrated before my very eyes, although this is not the worst scenario that could have surfaced, of course. I saw a girl holding on to a pole to steady herself, my sister related on how she had to cling to a car’s boot to avoid being engulfed by the wind, and yesterday my friends huddled together as they walked, for better stability. And ah, I’m about to wander off from the main topic again. Speaking of yesterday- we went ice-skating and had a whale of a good time, despite the fact that I fell down flat on my bottom twice and had countless of wobbly moments (I was very watchful of my weak knees, mak and abah, so no worries ;p). And you should watch those Russians- they were darn good! I glanced at some of them with envy as they played train and tag (imagine that on ice. I wish!) with one another in effortless movements. So, obviously... this calls for a second trip! And third and fourth and fifth! Hehe.

This morning I had the fortunate opportunity to observe a cat exhibition and later, a sushi treat near Volga. Many of the cats were simply gorgeous and I was deeply reminded of my cats back home. Blimey. I’m missing them!


at the exhibition: a kitten sleeping

14 comments:

jellyfungus said...

I think we need to get ourselves a pair of skates each. Let's go every month? Practice makes perfect. Right on! But then again, about the knee thing.. Okay Sofi maybe you can just borrow mine sometimes instead of getting your own. Hee!

dith said...

Few things I've noticed lately:

-time seemed to be abundant in Russia
-the extreme cold weather is not a deterence for one to have fun overthere.

:p

p.s. *dgn nada penouh kesal jugak* "I accidentally ran over Mayo's leg the other whilst reversing the car"!!! I could feel the car went over something hard.
*dengan nada penuh kegembiraan* Alhamdulillah!!She survived unscathed albeit a few seconds of limping!!!!

Conclusion: tidak sesia abah kasi depe makan IAMS! Her bones must be hard as steel, perhaps stronger even!

Ikelah said...

1. Dengan nada penuh gembira, alhamdulillah meyo selamat. The last time she hit a cat, momad and i had to bury it at the taman not far from SMKART.

2. its good to hear you enjoy yourself. hope kak sarah is enjoying her stay too. anyway how about your study? piat? miat? kiat? siat?

3. we have been sending the kittens away. budak kampung mintak, kita beri. so, sekarang tinggal cucu meyo marble sekor, mocot, mocot2, mocel2, selain dari meyo dan...tak ingat nama. uncle md nor mintak sekor, tak tau nak bagi yang mana. aliah pun tak macam dulu, tak kisah sangat hal kucing.

4. buku dah banyak katam. QUran terjemah dah katam? the same message to kak sarah.

5. baguslah knees tu no problem, tapi be careful. kalau dislocate dan musim sejuk... tengah malam.... bayangkan lah kesakitannya.

ifos said...

Ikelah- please don't give away the caaaattttssss.....!!! My studies are fine... Quran dah khatam lame dah... and thanks, I'll take care of my knees ;p

Neemo- right on!

Mak- kesiannye mayo....! kim slm kat die from me!

Anonymous said...

Haha, those sure are weird names. Mayo as in ... mayonnaise? xD

Anyway, my reaction to Sifi's picture was, "OMG, kucingggg nak pelukkkkkkkkk!" ^________^ It looks so freakin' huggable and cuddly and chubby and fwuffy and -- I can go on and on. I love the other past pictures too, those beads... O_o I'd buy them and take them apart and make new stuff, ah, they're so colourful!

As for the weather -- the idea of being blown away by the wind is pretty scary. Reminds me of a scene in The Nutty Professor or something, where he becomes a Godzilla-like giant and burps or something. Can't remember. ^^;

Anonymous said...

prevyet!!agreed..russians are darn good!!..u fell down flat on ur bottom twice,and me, fell down on my back 3 times...haha!!and bdk kecik 5 thn yg dh terror tgkkan jer..

pycnogenol said...

Winter still? Dont worry, it'll make you appreciate SPRING all the more.

Just wait for the daffodils. You'll be screaming with sheer joy and excitement!!!

In the meantime, keep youself warm and take care.

Anonymous said...

Salaam..

Yummm... sushi.. I think I'll go and get one.. Good luck with walking on the snow :P

Anonymous said...

The books (from the list I've only read HG Wells') sound somewhat 'depressing' in their own way ;)

How about pics of you skating around? And I'd be waiting eagerly for the spring shots! that would be a real feast to the eyes.

ifos said...

Aneesah- no, Mayo as in 'Meow!!'- the variation of it I guess... ask my mum =p

Arbor_vitae86- LOL

Pycnogenol- the spring is about to come... can't wait for all the colours to materialise- though for sure I'll miss the white blankets of snow =)

Ayumi- thanks;)

Crimsonkskye- What can I say... I'm kinda attracted to depressing books... haha. And pics of skating- unfortunately I had some technical glitches with my camera n couldn't transfer my photos (very depressing...!). Still trying to figure out the problem... hmm.

mynn said...

cantiknya your pictures, guna camera apa ye?

ifos said...

Thanks, I use Olympus C-770, an ordinary digital camera for casual users ;)

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info
» » »

Anonymous said...

What a great site Addiction drug tenuate baby floor mats computer chair Problems wellbutrin Virus+portection+scan floor mats wolf floor mats Hack recovery disk jewelry stores in harvard illinois the great west life assurance comany Lesbian toys hentai