Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Roses are red, violets are blue...

I have been feeling under the weather lately, and by that I don't mean my health. The squeamish helix of student life is rocking the heck out of my boat this time around at an infinite accelerating rate and again, I don't mean homework and tests and stuff. I've become mad as a hatter. I've gone retro and loving origami all over again (made a pigeon last night. Great achievement for starters. Thanks Neemo for lending the book and your help, gonna find lots of coloured papers now). My klutzy spell has subsided, though by no means disappeared- I'm kind of jinxed for life. Truly inspired, the Victory Day celebration on 9th May made me dig out my semi-retired camera from my trinket box, only to find out that the battery's charger was missing. My charmed memory has, yet again, failed me. Aah. And now, out of sheer stupidity, I've got myself a phone stalker. Who says life isn't a bed of roses? Mine is. Only it's quite full of 'em pesky thorns. Rather distressing eh.

Today is Mother's Day, as we all are aware of. I don't think people here celebrate it though, you can find no such cards in the gift shops. To my mother, and every mother elsewhere, may all your love and efforts be bountifully rewarded by Allah, on this day, tomorrow, and the life after.

My mother has always been my source of inspiration, the person I admire most in a whole number of ways. I never truly asked you how on earth you did it, Mak, but giving birth to three kids whilst slogging through med school has got to be one heck of a bundle to juggle, to put it in the mildest sense. It's one thing to be having a 'cool mum', as many would say when they hear the story, but I never really gave it much thought, of the level of sacrifice it took for my mother (and father) to raise us little wrecks. To be carrying around a heavy chunk of lifeform in your belly for the better half of your varsity life, putting up with the nausea, cramps and whatnots, suffering through labour, nursing us, having had to send us to our grandparents for care, taking bus to visit us every weekend, later having to deal with our stubbornness and attachment to our grandparents, and everything beyond, until now... still dealing. Only Allah can repay you rightfully, Mak. I love you very much.

ps: Everyone, and I mean everyone, has been asking whether I've watched Spiderman 3. For the record, I didn't even watch the first two movies. And just so anyone's interested, my favourite superhero would be Batman.

16 comments:

dith said...

Fi,

For sure these words weren't influenced by an excessive dose of patin asam rong!

Thank you for taking me as a source of inspiration. I love you too!

Anonymous said...

How to repay? I don't know about your mother but for your father, a suitable repayment scheme can start with having you LEARN to cook a good gulai asam rong ikan kenerak or ikan patin. The asam rong, you must get them yourself of course.

Jamil said...

I didn't watch the first two Spiderman movies too. My favourite superhero however, would be Bananaman (yes, there is a superhero named Bananaman, go google him)

dith said...

mat derih-

I now how truly bad it feels to be left out in a patin asam rong eating spree but to ask a daughter to learn to cook the dish as a repayment for her parents' kindness, isnt this carrying the desparate asam rong withdrawal too far???

Kesian, kesian....ini org namakan kempunanan tak habisss! hehe

Anonymous said...

Hehehehe DITH I dun know but when Nadia once said one day when she's big enough she'll prepare my teh tarik every time, I felt good already.

Panglima said...

ifos,

if you can rise to the challenge on learning to cook gulai asam rong, sejuk perut mak mengandung kamu dulu.

it appears even dith didnt think you can, but i am confident you could.

dith, allow your daughter to proclaim her love and gratitude through asam rong. you would enjoy it too, i think.

mat derih, cant wait for my precious one to proclaim something similar.

Arifah said...

Dith, from the bottom of my heart I declare this.. I'm proud of you! =D

dith said...

Afie,

Thanks for being proud of me! It's not often that I get such proclamation.

And I am proud of you too!

Anonymous said...

as always great article, great daughter.

fathers day bila pulak eh?

Anonymous said...

wek tok pandai cakap omputeh. wek dengar aki awok nak buat kenduri besor 18 ogos, jemput semua orang tapi wek yakin sebelum tu dia tentu buat kenduri kecik untuk awok. dia doh berkira nak cari petei, julai pun lambat lagi.
sayang betui dia ke awok yek!

pok sedare awok yang sorang tu bila nok jemput awok kenduri? sayang benor dia ke awok sampai nama siti gumburawati dia pun letok nama awok kat ujung. buku mahel pun dia nok belanje awok. koi ni asam rong pun dia tok beri beri.

cucu wek yang tekan butang taip reter ni.

Jalilah said...

"My mother has always been my source of inspiration, the person I admire most in a whole number of ways. I never truly asked you how on earth you did it, Mak, but giving birth to three kids whilst slogging through med school has got to be one heck of a bundle to juggle, to put it in the mildest sense."

Wow, ifos, you are really lucky to have dith as your mom.
And dith, you are really lucky to have ifos as a daughter.
*weep *weep

Spiderman 3 is not that great pun. Hmm...

pycnogenol said...

Maybe the paragraph in your entry should now read:

"My mother has always been my source of inspiration, the person I admire most in a whole number of ways. I never truly asked you how on earth you did it, Mak, but raising FIVE kids whilst blogging through cyberspace and attending to patients at the hospital and keeping the house spick and span without the help of a maid, has got to be one heck of a bundle to juggle, to put it in the mildest sense."

The above has definitely got to be my description of your SUPER MAK now!!

A BELATED HAPPY MOTHERS DAY DITH!!

Panglima said...

wek oi, kome dah ngajok awok balik kuantan makan kari kambing dengan gulai asam rong, tapi awok sibuk ke mende lain. pindah rumah bile-bile boleh. pohpaleh sungguh awok ni.

ari tu ingat nak bawok balik asam rong ke awok, tapi ikelah dah perabih licin. setitik pun tak tinggal.

Panglima said...

wek, ngenang ke awok tak makan asam rong lagi... ni koi bawak balik sikit untuk awok. pegi le nengok kat http://rodong.fotopages.com

Anonymous said...

seriously, what a great mother's day post.

you know what ifos - i have been abit accident prone as well lately - and it's one accident after another after another.

please don't spread the bad luck around.

can't believe you haven't watched any of the spiderman movies - the third one is good.

ifos said...

everyone- :)

Now about the famed gulai asam rong... I'll try to cook once I know what it is in the first place. hahaha.

mynn- there are just so many good stuff around that I can push Spiderman aside. If I get realllly bored one day, I might just watch it. heheh.