Pages

Sunday, May 14, 2006

She walks in beauty

She Walks In Beauty
by George Gordon, Lord Byron

She walks in Beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellowed to that tender light
Which Heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express,
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!

My mother is an admirable person of all sorts- character-wise, knowledge-wise, career-wise... it is unnecessary really to go on. She was a strict mother (not so now, I think my youngest brother is having it really easy ;p) but maybe we were really stubborn back then. Hehe. Anyhow, she impelled every one of us to be the best we could possibly be, especially in our studies and character. All my successes have been due to her (and my father's, of course, but he's not our main character today. haha) endless encouragement and support, and also, her amazing drive to repeat the same babblings advice over and over again (I must be really stubborn then. Hehe).

I love my mother very much and am very proud of having her as a mother, and I hope that I won't be a disappointment to her (I know I have been a few times) too. Here's wishing you a very Happy Mother's Day, Mak, and you really ARE the lady described in Lord Byron's poem =)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We find it rather difficult to picture her as a strict mother, but, strict or not, she has done a wonderful job at raising 5 beautiful and handsome kids who are not just successful and intelligent but also polite and well-mannered. SYABAS!!

We would also add that you DrRoza, has definitely reign supreme as the "QUEEN of our Blogger World", and for that, we would also like to dedicate the beautiful song that accompany this entry to you and ALL mothers in the world.

HAPPY MOTHER'S Day!!!!

Anonymous said...

*sniff sniff*
Why am I the one who feels like reaching for a tissue??

Anonymous said...

Can I just copy this and dedicate it to my mother? I would've written the same things too about mama; that being due to the fact that your mom and my mom share a lot of similar traits!

Happy Mother's Day to all blogger moms *wink*

Anonymous said...

Salaam..
I'm VERY sure Dr. Roza is a good mother! :)

Anonymous said...

Due to unavoidable circumstances I only get to read this post mother's day...

Thank you Sofi for saying you love me very much. I know I have been an 'extreme' mother when the 'three' of you were younger and I hope you all can forgive me....I don't know if my 'strictness' was the reason you have all succeeded thus far or maybe you'd all turn out fine just the same...wallahualam...but I hope whatever good I have done to you all, Allah will help 'cover' my weaknesses and sins...Ameen

Jazakillah hairan kathira for being such a good daughter to me!

To Pycno, thank you for your kind words. You have sure put me so high 'up' there, which I don't think I deserve or able to 'wear' the bill. Thank you friend!

To Crimson and Ayumi- both of you have fine mums whom I admire too!

To Hiyoshi-thank you for saying I am a bit like your mum coz she's a truly wonderful woman!

Anonymous said...

may i wish your mom happy mother's day too??..

Happy mother's day Dr. Roza..=)