Pages

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Farewell Ramadhan

Assalamualaikum,

Ramadhan has come and gone again… though this passing month has elapsed with such remarkable swiftness that some of us are left somewhat wondering whether we have managed to make any significant progress at all this year, the air of its blessings could still be tremendously felt. I know I always feel easier to fast during Ramadhan than any other time in the year- my body feels tougher and more resilient, unlike at other times, where I would usually succumb to exhaustion right by noon. I strongly believe it’s the barakah of this special month that provides me the strength to endure anything that crosses my path, be it in physical or spiritual form. And for that I’m very thankful, to be graced with the privilege to observe yet another Ramadhan in peace.

I also feel fortunate to be part of a Muslim community that embrace Ramadhan in the manner it deserves, even though we are miles and miles away from a bona fide Muslim society. We prayed Tarawih as a jamaah every night (with tazkirah afterwards) and had an iftar gathering and qiamullail last weekend during which everyone participated with dedication. Tonight we recited takbir for one glorious hour and prayed Isya’ together.

It’s holiday in Russia this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, so we will hold an eid celebration for Malaysians on Friday. It’s a bittersweet emotion I’m going through right now… and surprisingly it is not because I won’t be celebrating raya with my family at home. I do miss my family, but it’s a different story altogether. I’m not feeling dejected because of raya… I don’t feel the urge to play raya songs like my friends (but maybe that’s because I never really liked raya songs =p); duit raya- I’m past that already, I guess (not that I will reject them if given!); even raya food failed to spark the festive mood in me. I simply feel thankful to be here, safe and sound, and a bit sorrowful because I feel I haven’t done my best this whole month. I’m missing Ramadhan already, and wish with all my heart that I will live to see the next Ramadhan, insyaallah.

Selamat hari raya to everyone who visits my page- have a meaningful eidil fitr =)

Dum spiro, spero.~ "As long as I breathe, I hope."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...felt a sharp pang when you wrote that your feeling of dejection is not (surprisingly) due to missing us your femily....:(

And I am here feeling raya is never the same without both of you around...I miss scolding you Fi , hehehhe...Aliah is taking over your place and she's acting the part even better...she threw a tupperwareful of blended onions which I asked ibu to prepare to make my life easier!!!! *SIGH*

Azra Ain said...

Selamat hari raya. Maaf zahir dan batin. Semoga tabah di perantauan.

Ikelah said...

yeaa, i too miss ramadhan. i understand how u feel and not doing enough in ramadahn. in this world we always feel unsatified with what we had done no matter weather its good or bad and we human do not appreciate pleasure that is granted to us, but will only value it once its taken away.

we leave to Allah to judge and accept our 1 month ibadah in ramadhan.

most ppl feel happy and elated with 'here comes syawal'. we will have a month long celebration. to some ppl its to 'qada' what they have miss for 1 month, the burden of fasting. they will eat good food and do what they had miss for 1 month.

the one month celebration has good and bad in it. it depends on oneself. if it brings one nearer to Allah, it will be good. it its just lust, wastage, arrogance etc... my Allah guide them.

I miss ramadhan. May Allah give us time to be in next year ramadan.

And i miss sarah and sofi as well.

wassalam.

Anonymous said...

Funny too, the way i didn't hear a single raya song throughout the whole month... it was only the eve of 'eid that i heard them, blasting over the supermarket's speakers (for last-minute shopping).

'Eid Mubarak sofi :)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. From what you've written, I'm sure that you did okay. Besides, why stop at Ramadhan? (A question I should be asking myself too)

Salam Eid to you too. Just wondering; what dishes did you have for raya?

Anonymous said...

salam sofi :)

i'm glad to finally found someone who care about the leaving Ramadhan. The sadness n regret; maybe due to the barakah which we knew, we'll never get in other months. well, if someone has perform his/her ibadah (as well as other tasks and jobs), regret is out of question. it's only about satisfaction.

Glad that u're settling comfortable there. i remember how life was, back then in matric. miss ya sofi.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what ikelah said. Syawal is a time of reflection, and also a test, to see whether our 1 month 'boot-camp' did any good or not..

But missing? I miss my family, especially you-know-who. :)