Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Missing something

It’s during times like these that your mind begins to traipse through the tunnel of time- back to the good old days when life revolved almost exclusively around the determinate compound of school (and the whole lot of crazy stuff crammed inside it for some good measure). For the past four months my springy eardrums have become accustomed to my fourteen-year-old sister’s daily chronicle of life that wouldn’t practically fit into the pages of your standard History textbook, within which involved some crushing episodes of backstabbing amongst so-called friends, or an atrocious act of injustice from a teacher, or an equally catastrophic teen love-triangle saga with plots and twists that would put Mexican telenovellas to perfect shame.

Before we jump into any conclusion, let me clarify that I wasn’t that deep during her age either (as if I’m so matured now. Heh) - similar scenarios surrounded my life as a fourteen-year-old, which unexpectedly is the exact reason that made me miss school all the more… the chaotic phase of growing up. The days when you were deep-fried in the process of learning and stupid mistakes were committed all the time.

Friendships were taken very seriously and when certain unwritten laws were broken, cold war would inexorably ensue- prepare for bitter words, dagger-looks, even exchanging letters (supposedly to hunt for the roots of the problem lah). Class parties were the very representation of fun with certain line of rules and regulations willing to be crossed- though nothing that screamed tragedy- in order to establish total success. PJ (Pendidikan Jasmani) was acknowledged as the all-embracing favourite subject and any attempt by teachers to displace the session with an hour’s dose of maths or science would be railed against with vigour. And school events were celebrated with the best of spirits (although we didn't get to have full say in many things, unlike students of residential schools).

We embraced the wheel of life and its grittier details wholeheartedly. We were at times silly, but nonetheless passionate in our endeavours (whatever they were ;p). These (amongst others) were life as I knew it. And I’m missing it, sorely.

School- where all the fun is.

Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love”~ Charles M. Schulz

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everytime I get to read your new entry, I just marvel at all the words that you use. It's always a learning opportunity at discovering the meaning of new words.

Usually, I would get pretty annoyed when the words used are bombastic and full of jargons, but somehow Safiyah, when you use them, it sounds good because I feel that you have used them correctly and appropriately.

This piece, for example describe perfectly the confused, rebellious, free-spirited, loyal and somewhat careless young Safiyah, who seem to realise her foolish, silly mistakes of the past only with hind-sight, but who will continue making similar foolish, silly mistakes in the future....for the simple reason that she is Safiyah.

I feel that I've known you all my life, and I am being very brave here at putting all my thoughts of you in black and white. I stand corrected of course.

I just LOVE this piece. I wished that I could have come up with an entry just like this....there's an 'uumph' to it. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree (what else can I do?) with pycnogenol. And iFos, I can vividly picture the scenario that you have painted in my mind. When I read your entry I have to be equipped with an Oxford dictionary!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I concur to the above opinions but I can't explicitly describe my feelings here or I will be held guilty of praising my own flesh and blood eh?

Peter said...

I enjoyed stopping by your corner of cyberspace! Stay Gold!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say, you have a great blog.

Todays inspirational quote:

"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him discover it in himself. "

(Galileo Galilei )

compensation mesothelioma

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have described school times better than this. Reading your entry, I can almost feel myself being transported back to those days.

tenkostar said...

whoa.. great reminiscence..really missed all those lovely and crazy times we had together since..what..standard 5?? u know, i used to not believe ppl who said the best times of your lives are schooling years..but now i am starting to believe it. we all live in our own little world back then.
btw:-

cold war & exchanging letters : ahh...memories..really, we ex-school goers WERE so talented at this..

Class parties: remember form 2; (if i'm not mistaken)who dropped by mase tgh main balloon thingy and the ever wonderful pepsi cola game..but nothing beats form 3's..cracking good..ah...miss all those years..

PJ (Pendidikan Jasmani): I missed this one sorely..where else can you play bola baling endlessly, sometimes footie, and condemning all suggestions to play softball..tee hee..AND rushing to class BM after that..heh.

Anonymous said...

agree with everyone up there...go Safiyah! hehe...it's Safiyah now eh? :p

Anonymous said...

aiyoh...it's supposed to be wiTcHh4Z3L a.k.a amilin. sheesh. :p

ifos said...

Thanks for all the compliments... and I admit that somehow I tend to repeat the same foolish mistakes of the past. Argh... not saying that I'm content about it- am trying to improve myself all the time ;)

And Azleen, when I talked about parties, that form 2 incident ALWAYS came to mind. haha. Especially since the game was my idea... teehee. And the form 1 baling belon full of water thingy, sampai over the buffet table... ganas2. but yeah, nothing beats form 3... *reminiscing sweet moments*

sorry there witchhazel, it's just that I really like your real name ;) nvm I'll change it~

Anonymous said...

Gosh, um, I've only known today that you're Crimsonskye's sister. ^^; Hah, that link to your mum's site looked familiar, and then -- a quick run across your blogroll... :)

So does your whole family have blogs? I think it's so cool!

As for school; "PJ (Pendidikan Jasmani) was acknowledged as the all-embracing favourite subject and any attempt by teachers to displace the session with an hour’s dose of maths or science would be railed against with vigour."

Ahahahaha, here, we're the ones who absolutely refuse to change attires and trot down to the field/court. Seriously, I think we've only did that once this year. The rest of the time -- stay in class, do "kerja sendiri".

(I've always liked blogger better than Xanga -- the comments!)

ifos said...

err Aneesah... no I'm NOT crimsonskye's sister! What makes you think so? Haha... hope the fact doesn't put you off from visiting this site in the future ;)

you guys don't like PJ????? How could you???????????????!!!! but you're in what, form 5?? We almost never had PJ during that year too, come to think of it ;( The teachers somehow managed to get their way all the time. Heh. But seriously, I think PJ is very important to balance out our seriously academic-oriented system =)

Anonymous said...

Hahaaa... must be something we said then ;) hey, i love PJ!! it's the only time we'd get to pound the courts properly. other times, you wish.

Ikelah said...

hi safiyah! hi tenko!

like the others, i cant stop myself from taking a peep into this blog. as the others, i found facinating ideas which stimulate my less intelligent mind, urging me to express and solve unravelled 'mysteries'

friendship is unique. we love and react to each friend differently. its not 'pilih kasih' but no individual is the same as others with identical characteristics and therefore leading to the unique interaction. the word why i was treated differently from the other until to the minor detail should not arise.
So, be yourself, full of confidence with high self esteem.

(lagi satu, my entry is not yearly anymore....just 'pindah rumah')

wink wink ;)

adios

Anonymous said...

Spot on, iFos =)

Anonymous said...

ifos, as we grow (and hopefully mature), we learn something new everyday, be it formal or informally. but sometimes we do forget to unlearn old stuff and habits. my words for you, unlearn something old everyday and relearn something new. be safe, be good.

heavy shower is predicted on the 3rd week of september in the areas of ampang and sepang (klia).

Anonymous said...

Heavy shower is ALSO predicted all around xanga and blogger.com 3rd week of September as well.
Sediakan "payung" sebelum hujan.......(or..should that be:"kaca mata hitam"???

Anonymous said...

I see we have 2 meteorological personels upfront. Emotion forecasters are more befitting titles I daresay....

Anonymous said...

The 3rd meteriologist forcast thick mist surrounding the strip from Ampang to Sepang. Visibility will be low and may have a significant psycological effect on the human emotional threshold.
Passengers are advised to make thorough checks on their travel documents regularly, keep the tissue papers at a separate reachable place a safe distance from the documents. Official documents wet with any kind of organic or non organic fluid is unacceptable and considered void.